All students must have a Home Language Survey completed in their permanent record.
If the Home Language Survey (HLS) indicates a language other than English, then testing must be initiated to determine English Proficiency.
Students in PK-1 must be administered an oral language proficiency test (OLPT) - preLAS or LAS Links.
Students in grades 2-12 must be administered an OLPT (LAS Links). Additionally, students must be administered the reading and language portions of an English achievement test from the State approved list.
Test results are evaluated to determine if student is LEP (Limited English Proficient).
Language Proficiency Assessment Committee Responsibilities:
The LPAC (Language Proficiency Assessment Committee) must meet within 4 weeks of the student’s ENROLLMENT and obtain all necessary documentation. The LPAC convenes to discuss the academic progress of the EB students served through the Bilingual/ESL program.
- The LPAC reviews all pertinent information on all EB students and designates:
o The language proficiency level
o The academic achievement
o The initial instructional placement
- Program placement is subject to parent approval. Approval/disapproval must be kept in the student’s permanent record folder.
- The LPAC classifies the students as EB.
- The LPAC recommends their exit from the Billingual/ESL program.
- Students in PK-1st grade may not be exited from the Bilingual/ESL program
- The LPAC may refer to students to the Special Education Program and must collaborate with the ARD committee when EB students are discussed.
- The LPAC should monitor EB students with parent denials.
- The LPAC should determine if students meet the exit criteria.
The District will provide a summer school program for EB students whenever there are at least 10 eligible participants.
The Bilingual/ESL program will be evaluated each year to ensure program effectiveness and improve student performance.
Assistant Superintendent and Director of Federal/State Programs Dr. Craig Wilcox 903-726-3306 x 747 email@example.com
Texas English Language Learners Portal