Gifted and TalentedIntroduction:Recognizing the need to encourage our students to take a more rigorous curriculum, NSISD is committed to providing services that challenge students.
Mission Statement:To provide a differentiated curriculum and instruction that meets the needs of each identified G/T student.Goal for Services for G/T Students:Students who participate in services designed for gifted and talented students will demonstrate skills in self-directing, thinking, research, and communication as evidenced by the development of innovative products and performances that reflect individuality and creativity and are advanced in relation to students of similar age, experience, or environment.
If you think that your child may be gifted, please contact the school to nominate them for assessment and possible identification for the New Summerfield I.S.D. Gifted program. Gifted students are served in the regular classroom setting and are given opportunities throughout the year to participate in activities designed for gifted and talented students.ResourcesCharacteristics
Gifted and Talented Links for Students and Parents
- They may show keen powers of observation and a sense of the significant; they have an eye for important details.
- They may read a great deal on their own, preferring books and magazines written for children older than they are.
- They often take great pleasure in intellectual activity.
- They have well-developed powers of abstraction, conceptualization, and synthesis.
- They readily see cause-effect relationships.
- They often display a questioning attitude and seek information for its own sake as much as for its usefulness.
- They are often skeptical, critical, and evaluative. They are quick to spot inconsistencies.
- They often have a large storehouse of information about a variety of topics, which they can recall quickly.
- They readily grasp underlying principles and can often make valid generalizations about events, people, or objects.
- They quickly perceive similarities, differences, and anomalies.
- They often attack complicated material by separating it into components and analyzing it systematically.
Texas Performance Standards Project - The Texas Performance Standards Project (TPSP) comprises a set of performance standards, curricula, and assessments for differentiating instruction and deepening academic learning. TPSP enhances gifted/talented (G/T) programs from kindergarten through high school.
Butterfly - (Used with permission. Copytight 1996, James P. Crutchfield. All rights reserved.)
Chess - Interactive chess lessons, quizzes, games and puzzles for kids. Play chess against the computer.Gifted and Talented Links for TeachersLorenz (Used with permission. Copyright 1996, James P. Crutchfield. All rights reserved.)